The Awakening by Seward Johnson

Monday, May 3, 2010

Knowing is half the battle...

No, this blog isn't about the GI Joes (although there is a lot we have to learn from these iconic American heroes).  But knowing is half the battle.  Knowing what?  Knowing what's holding you back.

Since we are all children of the One, Highest God, and since God (like any good father) wants to give His sons the verb best - that means we should be living lives full of greatness and power that God has in store for us.  So what's holding you back?

I cannot speak into your live about what is holding you back, but if you're anything like me, then you'll see yourself revealed when I tell you what's holding ME back.  Two things.  These two things with in tandem to keep me in place.  They try to keep my eyes closed to what could be and if I do catch a glimpse, they keep me from running after it at full pace.

These two things are fear and, perhaps worse (especially for many Americans), comfortability.  That's right - comfortability is an enemy to most Americans.  Why?  Good is the biggest opponent of Best; not Worst.  Best and worst at least have something in common:  Somebody tried their heart out and didn't hold back.  But good?  Good is my job.  It provides a good income: it's one that my wife and I can live off of.  Good is my relationships with friends: it's one where I don't know too much about them but they don't know too much about me either.  Good is most everything in my life, not great.

But as a child of God I am called to greatness!  I am called up to where He is - through Jesus Christ we have access, full and unbridled, to God!  So knowing is half the battle!  I know that fear and comfortability are my enemies - they keep me eyes closed to greatness, and if I see something I want, my comfortability tells me that I am happy enough right where I am.  Does this sound like you?  If so, then please accept my heartfelt encouragement and congratulations!  Congratulations for admitting you have a problem (no, this isn't AA) - but remember:  Knowing you have a problem is only have the battle.  If you're going to be rich like I am going to be, then you still have half the battle in front of you.  And you'll have to take it one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment